Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Packing...

Back in Caracas somehow managing to pack everything back in the bags we came with. The weather today is a bit misty and slightly cloudy. I like to think the country is sad to see us go. I am actually feeling excited for our welcome back party and i am ready to work! I got a work schedule already of 30 hours and a very interesting job related workshop this Friday. I am already checking out the yoga classes that fit in around my schedule and trying to find time for my weekly Spanish tutor, who is Venezuelan living in Rochester!
Other than the weather there is so much I am looking forward to, I will not be sledding with my housemate Ted when he organises another evening sled event. A friend of mine told me yesterday that it will be nostalgic to see the snow because I have not seen any yet this year, but really I know this is not true. For me it is just an element to deal with until it changes. Andy and Zarha were counting the amount of times I mentioned snow and cold the past few days and I guess I was hitting over 15 times daily. You know the weather is bad in the Northeast when random taxi drivers here in Venezuela are telling us how they have seen all about the snow and problems on TV. fun stuff.

Carnival in Margarita was dynamic. We would be heading to some beach or another and pass through a town while a colorful, musical parade marched by. Most of the kids and many of the adults were in costumes. It looks like a version of our Halloween but with great music and more partying! The little girls like to dress up as princes and the boys as some action hero. Stilt walkers and beauty queens on would throw candy into the crowd. I held my own racing for the candy and beat out a few drunk venezuelanos and a firefighter. I felt bad about that and gave the bombero my candy.

The trip back from Margarita to Caracas yesterday was about a 13 hour trip. We took the ferry (this was the fast one!) from Margarita at 9am got to mainland around noon, waited a few hours for our bus to leave for Caracas. We rode 5 hours on another refrigerator double Decker bus that plays the current pirated Hollywood films. We have really enjoyed the copy left country, but the Hollywood movies suck. I mean Rocky Balboa now, I loved the first one maybe the second, then I stopped wathcing. I cried at this movie thinking how pathetic and desperate Stallone must be trying to hold on to his rocky image. Mid life crisis suck and result in many shitty things. It was fun though watching it curled up on the bus in my down sleeping bag curled up next to my favorite guy, minus a little bus wooziness it was very cozy. our trip back to the NY will be about the same travel time as it was traveling to Margarita. I am glad we are flying direct into Rochester and not NYC. Sounds like it has been disastrous there and I always have complications in JFK. We land weds evening around 5pm our phone will be turned back on hopefully by Thursday. call us.

I guess I need to finish packing and hit the last day of carnival in the streets of Caracas. See if we can get blessed by water balloons or eggs hitting us today before we leave at 5am tomorrow.
We travel on the first day of lent, Ash Wednesday. I am joining the ranks of all those who give things up as a sacrifice to prove their commitment to goodness and love etc.
I am officially giving up sun and warmth for 40 days!
see you up north,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home